Living Nativity & Pecan - Walnut Festival
- From: December 13, 2018 - December 15, 2018 (Recurring daily)
- Location: Shepherd's Cross
- Address: 16792 East 450 Road, Claremore, OK 74017
- Times: From: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Contact: Diane Dickinson
- Send Email
- Visit Website
- Free Parking?: Yes
- Add to Itinerary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Pecan - Walnut Festival & Living Nativity Heart of the Shepherd @ Shepherd's Cross
December 13, 14 & 15 & 20, 21 & 22 2018 Thursday, Friday & Saturday 10:00 am - 8:00 p.m.
• The Living Nativity is an indoor, heated walk through event complete with farm animals and costumed characters inside an Amish built barn at Shepherd's Cross, an authentic working farm, just north of Claremore OK on Scenic Route 66.
• Come to the farm and enjoy the peace of a few hours spent in the country, contemplating that original Christmas when the Christ Child was born in a stable.
• Christmas light display - white light - peaceful & reflective
• Open the barn door and step back in time - spinning, weaving and wool working demonstrations throughout the day.
• Complimentary apple cider & cookies.
• Enjoy a Shepherd Christmas children's audio-visual program.
• This year the Living Nativity will feature Christmas Musicians or a Dramatic Story each hour :
o Christmas Musicians include either a violinist, flutist, guitarist, gospel musicians, quartets, cellists
The Living Nativity is rich with old time gospel music
o The Inn Keeper's Wife - the story of Christ's birth from the perspective of the Innkeeper's Wife's - written & told by Frankie Campbell
o Menagerie at the Manger - the story of Christmas from the animals at the manger - written & told by Linda Allen
o Musicians needed. Go to the Living Nativity page to find information about volunteering
• Picture in the manger - with family & friends - start a new tradition
• Shepherd's Shop will be open, featuring a host of Made in Oklahoma crafts & gifts from over 50 artisans - lovely unique Christmas gifts
o Animal Welfare Approved, farm fresh grass fed, free range, natural lamb meat is available.
o 100% natural wool yarns and fibers are available; processed at our own mini-wool mill. Shepherd's Cross is an "eco-friendly" wool mill.
o A Fair Trade Shop that sells hand made products from missions, and returns 100% of the proceeds to those missions, is a part of Shepherd's Shop, representing several nations.
o This is walnut & pecan harvest season on the farm. Farm fresh black walnuts & native pecans will be available at down home country prices; or enjoy pre-picked or buy whole and we will crack for.
o Amish Made fudge & nutty treats available
o Watch as your pecans are cracked
• Enjoy watching the sheep resting in the pastures, as they did that first Christmas night.
• The event is donation based admission. Suggested donation is $5.00 per person.
• Journey with the Shepherds - Wagon Ride in the pasture with the sheep - as they journeyed to see the Christ on that first hallowed night. Available every hour ($6.50 per person; cancelled in inclement weather). 100% of proceeds benefit missions.
• Buses or groups of 20 or more, please schedule in advance.
• Shepherd's Cross is home to a non-profit Christian organization called Heart of the Shepherd that hosts this event. Shepherd's Cross provides the farm, animals and the barn for the event.
• Make an Evergreen Wreath to take home - great family or group activity; $15 each; 100% of proceeds benefit missions
• Make a Christmas Ornament to take home; $5.00 each; 100% of proceeds benefit missions
• The Living Tree - Provide a gift to the less fortunate - this is Heart of the Shepherd's "Angel Tree"
• Free Children's activity - bird feeder and/or woolly sheep
• Shepherd's Special Bundle Deals:
o #1: Includes all donation based activities - suggested donation $5 per person
o #2: Journey with the Shepherds - $6.50 per person - Includes all donation based activities plus a wagon ride
o #3: Christmas Journey & Ornament - $ 9 per person - Includes all donation based activities, wagon ride & make an ornament
o $4: Christmas Journey & Wreath - $ 20 per person - Includes all donation based activities, wagon ride & make a wreath
• Christmas Coloring Contest
• Farm Museum & Educational Silo & Bible Garden self-guided tours
• The Living Nativity will proceed even in the case of inclement weather. Activities take place inside the heated Amish built gambrel roof tour barn, which houses some of the animals as well as the wool processing, farm museum, games, hands on learning stations, story time and the gift shop.
• Shepherd's Cross is an accredited Agritourism facility, a Made in Oklahoma Company, is Animal Welfare approved, and is a distribution site for the Oklahoma Food Co-op.
• If your family would like to volunteer in the Living Nativity please contact us. Shifts are for two hours, throughout the day. Participants experience a memorable, peace filled, quality family time. Costumes are provided; pictures made available after the event. Volunteers receive a Free Wagon ride & the opportunity to scale to the fourth floor of the silo; one free wreath making per volunteer group; & make an ornament for each participant
• The Dickinson family has been providing a Live Nativity to the Claremore area for over 25 years.
• Event sponsored by Heart of the Shepherd - a Christian Public Non-profit organization (501-C3) that operates at Shepherd's Cross
• To find out more information about this woolly event please visit our website: www.ShepherdsCross.com - go to Living Nativity at the bottom of the tool bar http://www.shepherdscross.com/livingnativity.html or call 918-342-5911
Shepherd's Cross Inc. & Heart of the Shepherd Inc. Dr. Diane Dickinson, owner & executive director
sheepfarm@ShepherdsCross.com 918-342-5911 16792 East 450 Road, Claremore, OK 74017